Here's why copper and alcoholic beverages should not mix.
The acid that results from mixing water and carbon dioxide leaches copper from the plumbing components and the leachate is then transferred to beverages, causing copper poisoning.
In the advisory, health officials note that, in abiding by FDA guidelines, copper should not come into contact with acidic foods that have a pH below 6.
The Moscow mule raises safety concern as it recently surged in popularity. Public health officials warned that using those mugs could have unwanted health consequences. Examples of these acidic foods include fruit juice, wine, vinegar - and Moscow Mules. Since the Moscow Mule started becoming a thing at every suburban barbecue sometime in the mid-20th century, the drink's copper mug - used for its ability to keep drinks chilled, boost the taste and add more bubbles to the carbonated beer for optimum fizziness - has been a key part of the equation.
The Alcoholic Beverages Division said explained that when copper and copper alloy surfaces get in contact with acidic food, the copper may leach into the food, which can cause copper poisoning characterized by symptoms that include diarrhea, stomach pains, vomiting and yellowing of the skin.
Copper is commonly used for kitchenware like pots and pans, but it can be unsafe.
The Iowa Food and Beverage Commission says high concentrations of copper are poisonous and have caused food borne illness. But it is the traditional copper mug- that authorities are sounding the alarm about. As long as the mug is lined with another metal, like nickel or stainless steel, you should be OK.
Over time, copper exposure can damage liver and kidneys.