This code advised people not to bring copper into contact with any kind of foods and drinks with a pH lower than 6.0.
Health officials in Iowa say that because of the pH balance in the drinks, using copper mugs without a lining can be risky. That includes vinegar, fruit juice, wine and, yes, a traditional Moscow mule, whose pH is "well below 6.0." the bulletin says.
The popular Moscow mule cocktail is known around the world for the iconic copper mug that it is served in. The use of copper and copper alloys as a food contact surface is limited in Iowa.
Iowa health department's Alcoholic Beverages Division issued the warning after examining copper's poisonous nature and the material's mixing with food.
The declarations of these events took place after the Alcoholic Beverages Division examined the poisonous nature of copper and copper alloys mixed with food. However, that all may come to an end as health officials recently discovered that your favorite cocktail, more precisely the mug, may be poisoning you.
Put the copper mug down!
What falls below a pH of 6.0? "However, serious health problems from long-term exposure to copper can occur".
Having a drink in a copper mug might look aesthetically appealing, but it can also turn out to be fatal. One solution is to use a mug that is copper on the outside but lined on the inside with another metal, like nickel or stainless steel.
Copper poisoning leads to stomach pain, vomiting, drowsiness, or fainting.
The drink gave birth to a whole ad campaign by Smirnoff in the 1950s and 60s, including this ad featuring Woody Allen, helping popularize Russian vodka to gin-drinking Americans by way of the Moscow Mule. As it turns out, what is on the inside could count for more than you think.